The Law Offices of
Dawn K. Gull

Providing Family Law Representation In Western

Attorney Image

What can you do if the other parent won’t pay child support?

On Behalf of | Jun 8, 2021 | Child Support |

There may come a time when a parent doesn’t pay child support on time. Once in a while, that might be a fluke because of the way a paycheck falls or because of emergency expenditures, and in those times, most people can give a little grace. However, in situations where one parent is determined not to pay or is actively trying to avoid making payments, then the custodial parent should take steps to make sure those payments get where they belong.

Child support is not for the custodial parent, it’s for the benefit of the child. Too often, some parents get caught up in the idea that the other parent may use the money toward rent or fun activities without realizing that these are beneficial to their child. They may make excuses to avoid paying, but the truth is that they do have to pay, because you have a child support agreement.

What can you do if the other parent won’t pay child support?

If the other parent won’t pay child support, the first step is to get in touch with your attorney to talk about the different options that may be open to you. You may want to talk to you ex-spouse and find out why they’re not paying, too. Is there a question of paternity? Order a DNA test. Is there a financial issue that makes the full amount too much to pay? A modification of the amount of support may be beneficial.

If there is no other reason than the other parent doesn’t want to pay or hasn’t made an effort to set up those payments, then your attorney can help you take your case to court and have a court order established. Once that happens, the court may garnish the other party’s wages or withhold tax returns, for example, so that your child gets the payments that they are due.

This can be a complex situation to find yourself in, so knowing your legal options is the first step to getting what is owed. Then, you may be able to move forward and ask the court for support.