The Law Offices of
Dawn K. Gull

Providing Family Law Representation In Allegheny And Butler Counties

Dawn K. Gull

What you need to know about custody interference

On Behalf of | Mar 31, 2021 | Child Custody |

The saying, “time heals all wounds,” resonates with many divorced parents. While some parents may be bitter toward one another after their split, emotions tend to be less raw as time drags on, allowing most divorce couples to co-parent amicably. 

A select few parents never find a way to get on the same page with one another to co-parent their child effectively, however. These parents constantly find themselves in high-conflict situations. Custody interference is commonplace in such instances. 

What is custody interference?

Any instance in which a parent attempts to prevent their co-parent from gaining access to or seeing their mutual children may constitute custody interference. This strategy is illegal.

Why might parents engage in custodial interference?

Motivations vary. A parent may engage in custodial or visitation interference in an attempt to secure more parenting time with their kids. A mom or dad may also try to sidestep an existing custody arrangement because their co-parent fails to pay child support — even though visitation and support are two different issues.

What penalties might a parent face for custody interference?

Parents who engage in custodial interference may face any number of penalties for doing so. The court may, for example, order modifications to the existing parenting and custody plan, force the errant parent to submit to supervised visitation or even take their custodial and visitation rights away entirely. Regaining these rights may be an uphill battle.

A custody modification hearing may be a viable option for you to pursue if your ex seems intent on not following your custodial schedule. You may be able to ask the court to award you increased custody and give your ex one last chance to get things right. An attorney here in Wexford can advise you of any other options you may be able to pursue in your Pennsylvania case.